Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Where has this gadget been all my life?


For 47 years I've been keeping house, and for 47 years I've been disgusted by the gunk that gathers in the sink strainer. Those slots in the strainer let too much stuff through, big enough pieces to actually clog up the grid at the top of the drain pipe so that water in the sink stops going down the drain. The only solution was to put my fingers in there and get that glunk out! Ooooh! Ick!

At Christmas I was at daughter Robin's house and saw that she had a little screen gizmo in her sink that stopped stuff from going down the drain. Hmmmm! I looked for one at Wal-Mart and they probably have them, but I didn't find them. A trip to my everything-hardware store in Washington (IL), Kimpling Ace Hardware and I was on my way home to see how it worked. It worked great! Stuff that is scraped off plates or pans gathers in that screen dealie and is really easy to toss in the garbage. It's MUCH less gooky than the old strainer method.

I still don't know how to keep house, but this screen thing sure makes kitchen clean-up more pleasant.

1 comment:

Norm Deplume said...

That's another stroke of serendipity, eh? I only got it because we only had one strainer when we moved in here, and wherever I was shopping didn't have what I was looking for. I love mine, too.