Tuesday, January 8, 2008

How Do You Keep House?

I have been trying lately to figure out what exactly my job is in the house. I know that sounds silly, since I've been keeping house for almost 50 years. It's just that I don't seem to be doing the minimum amount of house keeping, and I don't know why....other than I love the computer and my volunteer activities. So today I started a list of necessary jobs, and it's already longer than I want it to be, and I'm no where near finished. When the kids were home, I managed to keep up with the list and most things got done. I've got to figure out how to do it now. I may have to give up my "reading breaks," when I take my book and park on the sofa for "just a minute" that turns out to be an hour. Maybe I'll have to get started on housekeeping before I read the paper in the morning, or open my email. There must be a way to do this. I've just got to figure it out.
In the past I've tried many methods for keeping up. My favorite was "Sidetracked Home Executives" (SHE). I had a file box of 3x5 cards and I went through them every day. It worked (more or less) then, because my major job every day was taking care of the house and family. I never spent the 5 to 7 hours a day that would be needed to do a good job, but I kept up....thanks to my good buddy and partner in "crime" Sandy Du. I've tried to start the program up again, but I simply don't want to spend that much time on it. I can't imagine changing my life so that I'm doing housekeeping 5 hours a day! I'd be happier with 5 hours a week!
I know that one of the critical things to do is to get rid of clutter. Yup. I know all about it! I've bought a bunch of how-to books on that subject, too. I've even started out to do some of them. I usually stick with it about a week. Since I always start in the kitchen, that's the only area that ever gets scooped out. But then when I move on to the next place, the "clean" spot gets filled with things from the "newly clean" spot, and you can never see that I've done anything at all. It's downright discouraging.

No comments: