Friday, January 18, 2008

Rotels to the Rescue

How could I get this old and not learn about Rotel tomatoes? I have never noticed them on the shelves at the grocery store, and wouldn't have tried them yet if Jim hadn't found them at Sams and bought an 8-pack. Those things are great!

The first time I had them brought to my attention was an autumn party at daughter Susan's house. She had made a creamy dip and added a can of Rotels. Wow was it good!

I'm not fond of "hot" food, but the Rotels have the flavor of hot food with only a little of the bite. The other night I cobbled together some left-overs and came up with the closest thing to Jim's favorite Appleby's entre, "N'Orleans Skillet." Actually Appleby's has taken this dish off the menu, so it's a happy accident that I can now copy it here at home. The recipe couldn't be simpler: saute some green pepper and onion in a little oil, add a couple of cups of cooked rice, slices of smoked sausage and throw in a can of Rotel tomatoes. Yum! I've concocted similar left-over dishes, but only when I added the Rotels did I get the taste right.

So I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

2 comments:

Norm Deplume said...

I haven't bought Rotel tomatoes yet, either, although after your concoction, I did buy a can of diced tomatoes with chiles in it. Is that the same thing?

KarenDelane said...

Rotel tomatoes and the diced tomatoes with chillies are in the same ballpark, but the Rotels aren't a hot.