Friday, January 4, 2008

Losing Keys

If there's one thing in the world I hate, it's not being able to find my keys when I go to unlock the car! Therefore, I have this handy D-ring sewn into my purse right next to the cell phone pocket.I carry 3 keyrings with me:1) has the keys to the Historical Society, 2) has my flash drives, and 3) has my house and car keys. Each of them has one of those clasps like you see on dog leashes. I ALWAYS clip my keys to that D-ring when I get out of the car. Right.

This afternoon I parked at the end of the block where you can stay longer than 2 hours without getting a ticket. This evening we went to the Chanticleer for supper, and I left my computer stuff sitting out at the Hist. Soc., planning to come back after dinner to pick it all up. As we were getting near the place where my car was parked, I said, "Let me out here, and I'll drive my car up in front of the Hist. Soc." So that's what we did.

I went into the building, cleared my desk and got my computer all bundled up in its brief case, turned out the lights, locked the door and headed for the car. I reached for my keys. They weren't there. I checked my pockets. They weren't there. I dug in my purse. No keys. After a bit (it was cold and windy out there), I went to the van where my husband,Jim, was waiting for me and sat down to do a better (and warmer) search. No keys. I went back into the Society. No keys. I searched in my purse again, taking almost everything out of it. No keys. I went outside and searched in the slush around the car, but they were not to be found. I got Jim's set of car keys, and checked to see if I had left them in the car. Nope. So, sitting in the car with the overhead light on, I took EVERYthing out of my purse....including my keys! It leaves me dumfounded to have this happen, and it explains once again why I ALWAYS hook my keys to the D-ring. Yup.

The funniest part of the ordeal was that when I got through searching the car after opening it with Jim's keys, I said, "I was at the bank and the Court House this afternoon. Maybe they fell out there." And Jim kind of gave a double take and said, "Yes, but you just drove it around the corner 5 minutes ago."

No comments: