Tuesday, February 12, 2008

1/4 PF + 1/3 wb + 1/4 hw = Too Much

Frugality is a good thing, but it takes practice. I managed to think of something to do with the 1/4 loaf of Pepperidge Farm bread, but then I found a 1/3 loaf of sliced white bread that had grown some mold. Win some, lose some. There's still a 1/4 loaf of honey wheat (boughten) bread there. I'm almost afraid to look to see if it's moldy. I need to get this bread GONE, so I can make some bread...in my bread machine, of course. I'm not too good on the kneading thing.

Tonight for supper I made up a small batch of sage dressing, poured cream of chicken soup over it and nestled two boneless chicken breasts on top. Baked it for about 40 minutes. Came out really tasty....and the Pepperidge Farm bread got used up before it molded. That's a first.

The birds (mostly starlings, of course) thought my bread plentitude was right on! They may get a bunch of honey wheat tomorrow...if I get up the courage to see if it's molded yet.

My mother (frugal to the bone) always kept her bread in the refrigerator (I almost said "ice box.") I think she got in the habit when Father was baking bread right and left, faster than they could eat it up. The bread didn't mold as quickly, but it always seemed drier than that left in plastic bags on the counter. After Father died, there was only her to eat up a loaf of bread, so into the frige it went. I never heard her complain, but I don't like refrigerator stored bread.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was the author that deleted the comment yesterday. Too many typos, and you cannot edit your comment. So, I deleted it. Guess it pays to proof read prior to hitting the "publish your comment button".

Norm Deplume said...

I just read a book from the library, that has you making a week's worth of bread dough at once, then just pulling one loaf's worth of dough out, letting it rest for an hour, then baking. No kneading at all. It's a neat concept, but I want to try one of these fancy no-knead breads first, before I mix up 5 quarts of dough.

And kingarthurflour.com has a sourdough starter that is apparently pretty good. Also, http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ sends out starter for the price of an envelope and stamp.

Between us, we ought to be able to get the right amount of bread baked and eaten, no?