Friday, October 22, 2010

The Birthday Cake

Daughter Susan neglected to order a birthday cake from the bakery for Pete’s 5th birthday. It was Friday and his party with a Mega-Heroes theme was Saturday afternoon. She wanted a cake with Batman on it. The local grocery deli couldn’t do it on short notice, so she went to Wal-Mart, but they said they couldn’t do it either. They offered to sell her the Batman trinkets for the top and a cake, and then she could do it herself.
As she was trying to figure out what to do, the lady said, “It looks like you’re in a jam. I’ll go ahead and decorate a cake for you.” She sprayed on the Metropolis background and put in the Batman and Batmobile and asked if Susan would like a name on it. Susan was delighted, and she said, “You’ve just made a mother very, very happy!”
The baker said, “You know, that’s interesting. Recently I’ve become very unhappy in my job. I don’t like the hours. I don’t get any recognition for what I do. I want to be home with my kids in the evenings. Last Sunday our pastor gave a sermon about doing our best. He told us that we never know when something we do for another person is going to mean a great deal to them. Therefore, we should always do our best. I guess he was right.”
Being kind and always doing our best are truly things we should practice as we try to be Christ’s hands and heart in our world.

No comments: