Monday, June 29, 2009

Vacations

Age 5-21: Trip to visit someone I like.
Age 21-35: Trip to visit family that doesn't live close.
Age 35-65: Trip somewhere, anywhere
Age 65-70: Trip I'd rather not take.
Once in awhile I do get that urge to take to the road, remembering the good old days when it was thrilling to start on a vacation. A sudden happiness wells up in me and I'm really happy about driving somewhere.
But it's gotten so I would much prefer to stay home. My bed is comfortable (and doesn't cost $70 a night); the food is cheap and it's what I want to eat (not what the restaurant has to offer); I can water my flowers and bring in my own mail and papers, and most importantly, all my "stuff" is handy.
I hear others waxing poetic about the vacation they're about to take, and they just can't wait to get away. I may have felt that way one time, but now I have to MAKE myself want to go. I enjoy the trip while I'm on it, but if I didn't go, I'd be just as happy. The only really good thing about "getting away" is that the telephone doesn't ring all day with telemarketers.
Actually the trips I would like to take are all relatively short ones: to my daughters' homes, to visit my favorite cousin (100 miles), and to my brother-in-law's place in a nearby town.
You'll hear me rave about how much I like to "get away," but I lie.

No comments: