Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson's Dead

I can't let Michael Jackson die (yesterday) without registering my opinion.
Talk about media hype! Talk about inane celebrity frenzy! Talk about ridiculous statements as to MJ's fame! I actually heard a Fox News reporter/announcer/whatever say that "this day will go down in history as one of the saddest ever!" And "Michael Jackson is the most famous man on this planet." And "Everyone will remember what they were doing when they learned that MJ was dead." (I'll bet Mr. Obama disagrees with the second of those quotes!)
Aw, c'mon! MJ was an entertainer, for cripes sake. He's no more famous or memorable than any of the other greats, and who can even recall them after a few years, let alone a generation? I remember where I was when I learned John F. Kennedy was dead, and my parents remembered where they were when they heard the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. But Michael Jackson is far from being important enough to merit such memories from the majority of people on this planet, let alone this country.
There have been oodles of famous, wonderful, important people who have died in my lifetime, but to say that MJ was the greatest is absurd.
People who think MJ's death is such a tragedy that they have to drop everything and go mourn need to "get a life!"

1 comment:

Norm Deplume said...

While I won't "remember what I was doing when I hear MJ had died", I do have a higher opinion of his status than you might. He was THE THING when I was 11-14 years old. It was huge. My friends and I spent countless hours watching and re-watching his videos, and the "Making of" documentaries about those videos.

I think he had gone off the deep end especially in these last 10 or so years, and I was hardly surprised at his death (he was, after all, not the picture of health), but his influence on the culture of the early 80's was great.