Sunday, April 13, 2008

What My Husband Isn't and Is

We’ve been married for almost 49 years, and I think we’re pretty happy with each other. I doubt that either of us would say we’re perfect, but we’ve managed to mesh together well. We’ve learned to ignore things we don’t like and really enjoy the things we do like. A few years ago it was popular to list what a “real man is,” and I began to mentally compile a list of the things I really liked about Jim. I’ve added to it over time, and I’ll undoubtedly add a few more as I think of them. Here’s a partial list:

I’m glad my husband doesn’t:
Drink
Smoke
Gamble
Run around with other women
Have nights out with the guys
Ride a motorcycle
Golf
Go fishing
Go camping
Go hunting
Vacation at the beach
Own a boat
Cook in my kitchen
Wear plaid pants or white shoes
Tell dirty jokes (he leaves that to me)
Swear in public
Waste money sending me flowers



Now what do I like about my husband? I’m glad he:

Has a great sense of humor (the first trait I noticed and liked when we met)
Is a good father
Is a good role model
Is kind and thoughtful
Is generous
Is a computer guru (how else would I keep my computer working?)
Is easy to talk to
Stops whenever I need a pee break when we’re traveling
Will stop and ask for directions if we’re lost
Likes family get-togethers
Adores his grandchildren
Likes cats (and a few specific dogs)
Has a wonderful set of siblings
Will eat anything I cook as long as it doesn’t have broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus or cauliflower in it.

1 comment:

Norm Deplume said...

That's my daddy, alright.